Friday, April 02, 2010

The lobbyists' bombardment hopefully reaches it's crescendo

Why do lobbyists bombard parliamentary candidates with an avalanche of letters and e-mails as we get closer to the time when an election must be called?

This is a genuine question because the one thing that is certain is that any prospective MP who is actively seeking election will reply first to constituents' enquiries. We are too busy just now to sit with our feet up browsing through a paper mountain of glossy brochures.

I have a simple message for lobbyists. I am seeking election to represent people in Cornwall - or at least, people in the new three way Truro and Falmouth constituency. This includes the local business community.

As a candidate and if I am elected as MP I will not reply positively to lobbying requests to lend my support to any purely commercial interests.

I will always put my community first.

Where constituents approach me asking me to support causes, some of which are led by charities and voluntary associations, I am lending some of these causes my support.

Some contacts made through charities - for example, an excellent briefing I attended on dementia and carers after being contacted by the Alzheimers Society - improved my understanding of issues affecting many people in this constituency, and that is something I appreciate.

Overall, lobbyists might engage the attention of future MPs more readily if they contact prospective candidates - or newly elected MPs - at any other time.

No comments:

Post a Comment